Hawaiian Beaches & Sea Turtles!
My husband and I took our last remaining child at home, our 16-year-old son, to Hawaii and we stayed in a gorgeous home right on the coast near the Polynesian Cultural Center on O’ahu.
What a memorable experience and one that we will forever be grateful for, as our 16 year-old will soon be 17, and that means he’ll soon be heading off in the next year and half to live his dreams. He has shared with us that he plans to go on a mission. He has had that desire since he was 5 when his older brothers and sister each left on their missions to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. We treasure the time we have with him now! He has such an amazing heart and is always so humble. We’re excited for his future.
Hawaii is an absolute tropical paradise that's bursting with stunning beaches and breathtaking landscapes! And wait for it... the state is also home to the most amazing sea turtles! Yup, you read that right!
Get ready for an adventure of a lifetime, as we take you on a journey to discover the best beaches in Hawaii to see these magnificent creatures.
- Turtle Bay Resort: Located on the North Shore of Oahu, Turtle Bay Resort is an absolute hotspot for green sea turtles! You'll be amazed at the sight of these gentle creatures basking on the shores and if you're feeling adventurous, sign up for a snorkeling excursion for an up-close encounter.
- Laniakea Beach: Also known as "Turtle Beach," Laniakea on the North Shore of Oahu is a must-visit for all turtle enthusiasts! Get ready to be awestruck as you witness dozens of green sea turtles sunning themselves on the sand and swimming in the crystal-clear waters. The image with this blog post is our son standing in front of turtles swimming by. We had the brilliant experience of heading up the beach to a quieter place and we loved our time in the water. Without warning, between my husband and I and our 16-year-old son swam a very large sea turtle. It was as if he gave us permission to be in his domain and we were honored. What a special experience!
- Waikiki Beach: Waikiki might be known for its bustling crowds, but did you know it's also a turtle-watcher's paradise? That's right! Keep an eye out for green sea turtles swimming near the shore and get ready for a glimpse of these beautiful creatures while you walk along the sand.
- Kailua Beach Park: On the Windward side of Oahu, Kailua Beach Park is a perfect blend of relaxation, fun, and turtle watching! Take a swim in the calm waters or just bask in the sun and keep an eye out for green sea turtles swimming near the shore.
- Lahaina Beach: Lahaina on the island of Maui is a turtle haven! Get ready for numerous sea turtle sightings as these creatures swim near the shore and bask in the sun on the sand.
Hawaii is the ultimate destination for all sea turtle enthusiasts! Whether you're on Oahu, Maui, or any of the other Hawaiian Islands, be sure to keep an eye out for these magnificent creatures. With its beautiful beaches and abundance of sea life, Hawaii is a must-visit destination for anyone looking to experience the beauty of the ocean and the wildlife that lives within it.
Hawaiian green sea turtles, or honu, are native to Hawaiʻi. They are the largest hard-shelled sea turtle in the world, reaching lengths of four feet and weighing over 300 pounds. Out of the seven types of sea turtle, the Hawaiian green sea turtle is the most common in Hawaiian waters.
- Turtles eat and rest on and off throughout the day. They can be seen at any time, although they prefer calm water.
- Please use reef-safe sunscreen when snorkeling,
- Wear the right gear. Turtles are often found near rocks, so wear flippers to protect your feet and a rash guard to prevent sunburn.
- Turtles are very photogenic, and majestic to record as they swim. Use a wrist strap to prevent dropping/losing your camera.
Here are a few amazing beaches that are "a-must" on your next vacation to Hawaii!
🌊 Pipeline - Gorgeous and so fun to watch surfers here when the waves are big.
🌊 Sunset beach - A must, especially at sunset.
🌊 Waikiki - World famous beach, so pretty and right in the city. Grab lunch at Dukes! Spend at least one day here!
🌊 Kawela Bay - A short hike in but secluded and quiet and beautiful with calm water.
🌊 Lanikai - Voted one of the most gorgeous beaches in the world for a reason.
🌊 Kailua - Similar to Lanikai but with a parking lot and bathrooms, and a bit more crowded.
🌊 Hukilau - Big beach with the perfect waves for bigger children to play in.
So, as you plan your upcoming adventures, pack your bags and get ready to soak in the beauty of the ocean and the wildlife that lives within it!