10 Misguided Cruise Tips That Sound Like A Fabulous Idea Until You Embark!
Ahoy there, fellow cruise enthusiasts! As a seasoned sailor and a lover of all things oceanic, I thought it'd be wonderful to share some cruise tips that may initially sound like a great idea, but could turn out differently once you're actually aboard the ship. So, let's jump into these tips with an open mind and explore the reality behind them. DOWNLOAD BELOW.
1. Packing a swimsuit in your carry-on bag: Ah, the allure of diving straight into the pool upon boarding the ship! While it sounds like a splendid notion to have your swimsuit at the ready, do keep in mind that your stateroom may not be available right away. So, unless you're keen on parading around in your beachwear amidst a sea of fellow travelers, it might be wiser to tuck that swimsuit into your checked luggage and explore the ship while you wait for your stateroom to be prepared. While having your swimsuit handy seems practical, you might feel more comfortable changing into it once you have access to your cabin and cover-up.
2. Booking the cheapest cruise cabin to save money: What a bargain! We all adore saving a pretty penny, but opting for the cheapest cabin available can sometimes leave you feeling like a sardine in a can. That's not fun! Those cozy interior cabins with no windows may seem like a smart financial move, but the lack of natural light and tight quarters can quickly make you "not so happy. Consider splurging a bit on a cabin with a balcony or more spacious accommodations to ensure a more comfortable journey.
3. Trying to pack in a carry-on for a weeklong cruise: The art of minimalist packing! Are you this way? While it may seem like a brilliant idea to challenge yourself and pack everything into a compact carry-on bag, trust me, it can quickly become a puzzling endeavor. Cruise ships offer ample storage space in your cabin, so take advantage of it and pack a bit more generously. Give yourself room to breathe and indulge in a variety of outfit choices without the stress of constantly re-wearing the same clothes. You'll enjoy our 4-pack cruise lanyards to help you mix and match with your outfits and swimsuits. Balance is the key.... don't overpack. Consider your comfort and flexibility.
4. Not buying a Wi-Fi package: Disconnecting from the digital world can be tempting, offering a chance to unwind and enjoy the cruise fully. Find a balance that suits your needs, allowing you to enjoy both the cruise experience and essential online connections. There are practical reasons to consider purchasing a Wi-Fi package. Staying connected allows you to communicate with loved ones, reply to important emails, or even share envy-inducing vacation pictures with friends back home. Consider purchasing a Wi-Fi package that suits your needs, allowing you to stay connected without going overboard.
5. Staying onboard the ship while docked in port: Just imagine having the ship all to yourself! While it may sound like a peaceful retreat while everyone else is off exploring the port, keep in mind that you'll be missing out on some of the most memorable experiences that you'll wish you didn't miss. Each port of call offers unique sights, cultural treasures, and delightful adventures waiting to be discovered. Don't be afraid to step ashore and immerse yourself in the vibrant tapestry of the destination. After all, exploring new horizons and cultures is what cruising is all about!
6. Packing a huge suitcase for every occasion: I know it's tempting to bring along an extensive wardrobe to cater to every imaginable event or mood... just in case you feel like dressing up as the Queen of England or a flamenco dancer. But trust me, hauling around a massive suitcase through narrow corridors and compact cabins can turn into a real-life game of Tetris. You will definitely want high quality packing cubes. You may ask, "What's the deal with packing cubes?"
Believe it or not, they save you space. Premium packing cubes with compression zippers help to keep you organized and use your available travel space to the maximum. Ordinary 5-piece packing cubes without rip-proof material and double zippers may be cheaper, so don't get caught unaware. The 8-piece high quality rip-proof material with double compression zippers will be just what you need for an amazing experience.
High quality packing cubes magically create additional space in your suitcase somehow. You will have the room to pack everything you need. They also keep items in better condition during travel. Your clothes will be less wrinkled, dry, and clean, so there's less stress when unpacking in your cruise stateroom cabin, and you'll be ready to discover the ship sooner. Simply lift the packing cube out your suitcase and place it directly into one of the drawers in your cruise cabin shelving. It makes it easier to pack up at the end of your cruise too. Simply pick up the packing cube and place it back in your suitcase. Get different colored packing cubes for each member of your cruise squad so you can easily see which ones belong to each person. Those who try packing cubes ask the question each time, "Why did I wait so long to try packing cubes?" They love them!
And bringing the best of both packing cubes and compression bags into one convenient product is a must for travel!
Use a smaller suitcase to place your gorgeous packing cubes in to make your journey more comfortable and hassle-free. Embrace the art of mixing and matching your outfits. Once again, balance is the key!
7. Booking back-to-back excursions: The excitement of exploring multiple ports can lead to the desire to book too many back-to-back excursions. While it's wonderful to immerse yourself in each destination, remember to allow time for relaxation and relaxing discoveries. Select a few key activities or sights that truly pique your interest and leave room for spontaneity during your voyage.
8. Overindulging in the all-you-can-eat buffet: The siren call of endless culinary delights! While it may seem like a dream come true to have a smorgasbord of delicious dishes at your fingertips, be wary of the food coma that awaits you on the other side. Pace yourself, and enjoy the buffet in moderation, sampling a variety of dishes without going overboard. Remember, there are plenty of other dining options onboard to sample throughout your voyage.
9. Expecting smooth sailing at all times: The whims of the mighty sea! While modern cruise ships are built to provide stability, there are instances where rough seas can be encountered. It's prudent to be prepared with motion sickness remedies and to keep an eye on the weather forecast. Don't let a touch of turbulence dampen your spirits!
10. Skipping the safety drill: Attending the mandatory safety drill may seem like a hassle, especially when you're eager to start your vacation. However, it's crucial to prioritize safety on the high seas. The safety drill provides vital information on emergency procedures and the location of life jackets and assembly points. Take a few moments to familiarize yourself with this important information, ensuring your well-being and peace of mind throughout the voyage. Besides, these days cruise ships do muster drills through electronically checking that every passenger checks in at their muster station. Don't delay, and get that done asap, otherwise you may find them calling your name over the intercom system requesting you to go to your muster station so the ship can set sail. Yikes!
PS: Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess Cruises, Celebrity, Norwegian, Oceania, Holland America Line, Virgin Voyages, and Regent Seven Seas offer virtual muster drills.
So cruisers, as we conclude this voyage through misguided cruise tips, remember to approach your upcoming adventure with a touch of wisdom and a sprinkle of flexibility. Embrace the lessons learned, adjust your expectations, and embark on your next cruise with an open heart and a willingness to navigate any surprises that may come your way. Bon voyage, and may your cruising experiences be filled with delightful moments, cherished memories, and smooth sailing!